We are both back in full swing in our schools. We've both had parent "Back to School" night, and we've both had conferences with parents of disruptive students. Ah, it's good to be back . . . NOT!
Are we getting too old for this? What happened to an emphasis on good teaching and educating the young? Now it is all test scores and placating parents. Students run the classrooms, and administrators run scared. We are both struggling to keep our eye on the calling that led us to teach in the first place.
Then something good happens. I went to a funeral today for a man who taught briefly in our district after retiring from teaching in Watts, LA, after retiring as a Nazarene Pastor, after working for many years as an nuclear scientist. I haven't seen him or his family for about 5 years. I walked into the church where the funeral was, and his son-in-law, the father of one of my former students, walked right up to me and said, "I don't remember your name, but I remember that you were our daughter's favorite teacher." Ok, now I'm ready for Monday.
Gotta "keep our eyes on the lives" of our students. That's what it's all about!!
Saturday, September 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Thanks for the posting. I definitely needed to hear that too.
--it's been rough at CMS too.
What?!?! He didn't remember your name?!?! j/k. I'm glad that it's the small things that find ways of keeping us going. Good luck on Monday!
Post a Comment